1. Must I already be POST certified?
It is preferred but not required
2. How long is training in the academy?
Basic Mandate training is 10 weeks.
3. What are the opportunities for promotion within the sworn ranks?
§ Police Chief
§ Deputy Police Chief
§ Assistant Police Chief
§ Police Captain
§ Police Lieutenant
§ Police Sergeant
4. Where and how may I request an application to become a City of Doraville Police Officer?
Applications are available at the Doraville Police Department located at 3750 Park Avenue Doraville, GA 30340
The following documentation must be presented with your application for Police Officer:
§ Valid Driver's License (from any State equivalent to a State of Georgia Class C Driver’s License)
§ High School Diploma or GED (accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation)
§ Proof of United States of America citizenship (birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or valid United States passport)
§ Military Discharge Documentation (Form DD 214)
5. What are the age requirements to be hired as a Police Officer?
You must be at least 21 years of age to be hired as a Police Officer in the City of Doraville.
6. Are there any education requirements to be appointed as a City of Doraville Police Officer?
Yes. Applicants must possess a High School diploma or equivalent from a school that is accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
7. Can prior law enforcement experience be considered towards appointment as a City of Doraville Police Officer?
The City of Doraville Police Department welcomes State of Georgia POST certified officers. There is a requirement that no applicant have an open POST investigation.
8. Are there any citizenship requirements to be a City of Doraville Police Officer?
All applicants for the City of Doraville Police Department must be a United States citizen.
9. Do I need a Georgia Driver's License to be a City of Doraville Police Officer?
Yes, an operator’s license equivalent to a State of Georgia Class C is required. A Georgia Driver's License is not required to apply for the position of Police Officer. A driver’s license from any state can be submitted with the application form. However, by the date of hire you must possess a valid, State of Georgia Driver's License (Class C).
10. If I have a criminal record, am I eligible to be a City of Doraville Police Officer?
An applicant’s criminal record will be reviewed, and a decision will be made on a case by case basis.
11. What is the career path to become a detective?
At the City of Doraville Police Department, the career path to become a detective begins with two years in the Field Operations Division. Applicants for detective positions must have above average personnel evaluations, a favorable work history, a favorable Internal Affairs profile, as well as a good driving record. As detective positions become available, the applicant may apply and be interviewed for the position.
12. How long does the hiring process take?
Currently, the process for most applicants is 6-8 weeks. The background process depends on the complexity of the individual’s background and the applicant’s availability for required testing.
13. I am interested in a position in the detention center or 911 center. Is the hiring process identical to that of a police officer? The hiring process for the detention center and 911 center are identical to the police hiring process with the exception of the POWER (Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report) test.